Patrick Lugo completed his formal education at the School of Visual Arts in New York City. His comic art was first published in the pages of New York independent publisher Double Edge Comics where he served as Art Director before moving to California. As Senior Designer for Kung Fu Tai Chi magazine created the long running comic series TIGER’S TALE.
Over the past decade his illustrations have also appeared on CD and Album covers both for U.S. and European musicians. His first Children’s Picture Book LITTLE MONK AND THE MANTIS was released in May 2012 and has been awarded both the Book of the Year Honor from the Gellett Burgess Center for Children’s Literature as well as 2012 Preferred Choice Award from CREATIVE CHILD MAGAZINE.
In the past couple of years his artwork has gained the attention of art galleries in the Bay Area. He contributes to the Annual Children’s Book Illustrator Exhibit at the Sun Gallery as well as their 2014 show Science/Fiction.
Projects & Positions
2013 – 2016 Sun Gallery Hayward, CA – Exhibiting Artist / Instructor
- Featured artist in the 24th and 25th Annual Children’s Book Illustrator Exhibition and consulting illustrator for special classes and activities.
2014, 2016 Olive Hyde Art Gallery, Fremont CA – Contributing Artist
- Contributed commissioned art for the 2014 gallery show DECKED OUT .
2012 Tuttle Publishing North Clarendon, VT – Illustrator
- Provided full color illustrations for the Gellett Burgess award winning children’s picture book: Little Monk and the Mantis: A Bug, A Boy, and the Birth of a Kung Fu Legend
2009 MitchMarcusMusic.com Forrest Hills, NY – Designer/Illustrator
- Supply cover art and illustrations for the album “Countdown 2 Meltdown” by the Mitch Marcus Quintet.
2008 Detelefunk Records Maastricht, Holland – Designer/Artist
- Supply record album artwork and designs for their 2007 line of 12” dance singles released throughout Europe.
2005 The Balloon Man Walnut Creek, CA – Consultant/Designer
- Update logo and identity for online use.
- Work closely with the owners in the development of the balloonmanonline.com web site.
2003 Signature Wines Hayward, CA – Consultant/Designer
- Independently supply Artwork & Designs for use on wine labels at signaturewines.com.
- Work closely with Art Director in the development of music themed wine labels.
2002 MoodFood.net Berkeley, CA – Designer/Illustrator
- Supply cover art and illustrations for the album “Human Zoo” by the band Moodfood.
- Design concert tour T-shirt in time for the six month coast to coast tour.
1999 Health Communications, Inc. Deerfield beach, FL – Illustrator/Writer
- Supply sequential instructional illustrations for the book titled Qigong: essence of the healing dance
- Contributed a 1000 word essay on the topic of Qigong for the above mentioned book.
2007 – current TC Media International Fremont, CA – Senior Designer / Art Director
- Develop their book publishing division; responsible for design and production of the company’s first line of books.
2002 – current Tigerclawfoundation.org Fremont, CA – Senior Designer
- Develop and maintain the web site for the Tiger Claw Foundation, the nonprofit branch of the Tiger Claw company.
2000 – current KungfuMagazine.com Fremont, CA – Senior Designer
- Work with freelance web programmers to develop Kungfumagazine.com.
- Maintain the online magazine with bi-weekly articles, instructional animations and administrate the web site’s forum.
1997 – current Kungfu-Tai Chi Magazine Fremont, CA – Senior Designer/Art Director
- Maintain the overall design and production standard for this bimonthly magazine.
- Direct photo-shoots held in our in-house studio for publication in the magazine, online or in other printed collateral.
- Maintain an efficient workflow and keep the company’s design department technologically up to date.
1996 – 1997 Tiger Claw Products/TC Media Santa Clara, CA – In-house Graphic Designer
- Responsible for all aspects of product development, advertisement campaigns and packaging for this family owned
manufacturing and importing company.
- Worked to integrate the newly acquired publishing department with Tiger Claw’s video production facilities.
- Graphic Design and layout for wholesale and retail catalogs, advertising campaigns and editorial layout for magazines.
1991 Double Edge Comics – Illustrator/Art Director
- Provide Pencil and or Pen & Ink illustrations for several of the Publisher’s comic book titles including Time Gate, Spirit of the Dragon and America Man.
- Art Direction and production oversight for the growing line of comics, design covers and title logos as well as the recruiting of talent.
School of Visual Arts New York, NY 1992: Sequential Art & Illustration
State University of New York Farmingdale, NY 1991: AA, Advertising Art & Design